Checklist: Permission to work in Andorra
Application for the residence and work permit
This checklist itemizes the required documents for the application
for residence and work permit in Andorra and explains the chronological order of the procedure.
Clearance certificate (s. Art. 9.2.a Implementing Regulations) (on the day of presenting the application not older than 3 months)
a) from the country of origen as well as
b) from the country from where the applicant emigrates to Andorra
and from all other countries where the applicant lived before
- Original and photocopy of the valid passport (s. Art. 9.2.b Implementing Regulations)
- Birth certificate
- Proof of marital status
(for example marriage certificate) (s. Art. 9.2.c Implementing Regulations)
- Copy of the tenancy agreement on a habitable accommodation and copy of the habitability certificate of the accommodation (s. Art. 9.2.d Implementing Regulations) (Proofs of accommodation
on camping grounds are not any longer accepted)
- 1 passport photo (s. Art. 9.2.e Implementing Regulations)
- Proof of the registration with the CASS
- Curriculum vitae (s. Art. 10.1. Implementing Regulations)
- Proof of the occupational qualification (s. Art. 10.1. Implementing Regulations)
- Original and photocopy of the certificate of registration of the
Register of business premises of the government of the employing company
Highly qualified workers (for example computer specialists, managers)
have to present in addition the following:
- Employment contract 
- Proof of the academic title
Chronological order of the procedure:
The applicant has to
collect the documents
- have the translations made 
- sign the employment contract
- sign the tenancy agreement (subject to the granting of the work
- present the application for the residence and work permit together
with the above mentioned documents
- register with the national insurer CASS
- be examined by the medical officer 
(s. Art. 43 Immigration Law)
- wait for the resolution of the immigration authorities
Furthermore, the following has to be taken into consideration:
Applicants which have the nationality of an EU country or of a country of the European Economic Area are given preferential treatment in the order of the assignment of the immigration permits (s. Art. 39 Immigration Law).
The Immigration authorities may demand that the foreign official documents have to be provided with an apostille in accordance with The Hague Convention, if there are rising any doubts about their authenticity, origin or jurisdiction of the issuing authority (s. Art. 8.3 Implementing Regulations). As well the immigration authority may demand other documents that it considers to be necessary in order to verify the applicant's data (s. Art. 8.4 Implementing Regulations).
For dealing with the application the immigration office charges an official
fee of 171,20 Euros. This charge has to be paid already when the application
form is collected.
The new immigration laws have been declared unconstitutional by the
Andorran constitutional court in February 2001. The new immigration
laws "Llei qualificada d'Immigració" have passed the parliament in May 2002 and came into force
in September 2002. The Implementing Regulations "Decret regulador del Servei d'Immigració" have been promulgated by the government on 16.10.2002 and came into force on 24.10.2002.
The salary of highly qualified workers has to be 50 % above average
of the corresponding sector.
back to text ]
All those documents that are not in Catalan, Spanish of French language (except the passport) have to be translated
by a certified translator into the Catalan language. (S. Art. 8.2 of the Implementing Regulations.).
[ back to text ]
Every applicant of a residence and work permit will be called to an
exhaustive medical examination. If here are discovered symptoms that
in future could result in a permanent unfitness for work, the granting
of the residence and work permit may be rejected in each individual
[ back to text ]
Proposal to quote
H.: Checklist: Permission to work - Application for the residence and
work permit in Andorra, Online in Internet: URL: http://www.andorra-intern.com/check/en_job.htm
[Dating: *Date of retrieving*].